A clarinet is not complete without a case. If you are looking for one, you should focus on the best clarinet cases in 2022.
I was searching for a sturdy and compact case for a Buffet R13 clarinet. Since the case I had been using was quite tedious to travel with, I had to replace it. Finding the best clarinet case was not easy since I came across so many models. Research, however, helped me narrow down the options.
Investing in a clarinet case is essential since it can help you secure this musical instrument. It makes it easy to carry around and protects the fragile instrument. So, which is the best clarinet case in 2022? We wrote this article to help eliminate any confusion you may have. You should expect reviews of the best clarinet cases and a guide on how to choose a good one. Read on!
What are the types of clarinet cases?
Some of them include the following.
- Soft clarinet case– Would you like a case that makes transporting the musical instrument a breeze? If yes, you can choose a soft case. Though this type is lightweight, it may not offer the same protection level as a hard case. Soft clarinet cases are also referred to as gig bags.
- Hard case-If you want a long-lasting clarinet case, you should focus on this type. Though such a case is more cumbersome, it can offer better protection since it features padding. Most hard cases also offer adequate space for the instrument and its accessories. You, however, have to spend more on a hard clarinet case.
- Single and double case– A single clarinet case offers room for only musical instruments, while a double case has enough room for two clarinets. If you are a professional player that uses this instrument during performances, you can choose a double clarinet case. This gives you enough room to carry a spare clarinet if one disappoints.
Why should you have a clarinet case?
Since most clarinets come at a high cost, getting a case can offer different benefits. Some of them include:
- Protection– A good case can keep the body and keys safe from harm. Without a case, the body of a clarinet can crack when handled without care.
- Portability– Having a case also makes it easy for you to transport the clarinet. If, for instance, you do gigs or attend musical classes, getting a case for the clarinet can ease transportation.
How we choose the best clarinet cases in 2022
We chose and ranked the best clarinet cases in 2022 based on their characteristics. Our aim is to help you find a suitable clarinet case that can fulfill your needs. One of the essential aspects that we considered is construction. We focused on the materials used in the construction of clarinet cases. This enables us to determine crucial factors such as:
- How durable different models are
- Their quality
- The level of protection they can offer
Things to consider when choosing the best clarinet case in 2022
For you to find a good clarinet case that is worth purchasing, you should be keen on the following:
Focus on getting the right fit. A good clarinet case should not be too small or too big. Instead, it should snugly fit the clarinet. Picking the right fit can ensure that the clarinet does not move so much.
This is also a crucial factor that the best clarinet cases never lack. Getting one with external and internal pockets can help you store and organize the clarinet’s accessories like swabs, tuners, sheet music, cork lubricant, and cleaning cloths.
The best clarinet case does not compromise on this. Look for features such as padding in a model since this can protect the musical instrument and its accessories. Extra padding can also minimize the risk of wearing out easily when not in use and prevent bumps while on the move. Parts such as the mouthpiece are more prone to breaking and need adequate protection.
Do you already have a budget for the clarinet case? If not, you need one since this can prevent you from overspending. Most professional players don’t mind paying for expensive cases. However, this does not mean that you cannot get quality when you have a low budget.
How to protect a clarinet case?
The clarinet case also needs some form of protection. You can achieve this by getting a case cover. This can prevent the clarinet case from developing scratches and also enhance portability.
Reviews of the best clarinet cases in 2022
Do you have a costly clarinet that needs ample protection? If yes, you should consider this case since it can keep it safe. Protec clarinet case has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 due to its impressive features. The manufacturers make it using ABS plastic which is sturdy and durable.
- Construction: ABS plastic
- Weight: 1.59 pounds
- Interior: soft foam mold
- Accessory compartment
Though this clarinet case is small, it offers enough room for the instrument and accessories. The size also makes it less bulky and easy to travel with. Protec Micro-Sized case does not develop scratches easily. It also features thick padding that enables it to protect your instrument well.
To enhance portability, the manufacturer also includes a shoulder strap in this case. You can carry this case over your shoulder and even adjust it to make it more comfortable. Feel free to fit this case in a bag pack if you don’t want to carry it over your shoulder.
- It is lightweight and portable
- Solid construction
- This case is well-padded
- Offers extra storage space
- The handle might fall off after some time
Pro Tec A307 Deluxe Clarinet cover- Best for a small hardshell case
If you wish to give a hardshell case extra protection, you can achieve this with a Pro-Tec case cover. Pro-Tec case cover has a rating of 4.6. This case cover is comfortable to carry around since it comes with a padded handle and a strap that you can easily adjust.
- Padding: 15 mm thick
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- Dual zipper
- Exterior pocket
It offers adequate space thanks to the inclusion of a front pocket. You can use this to carry different clarinet accessories. This case cover can prevent a clarinet case from scratches since it comes with thick padding.
You can even rely on it when it is raining since the exterior is made to be weather resistant. The manufacturer uses non-abrasive nylex on the interior of the case cover to give the clarinet enough room to breathe.
- It comes with two handles
- Adequate space
- It is weather-resistant
- Not ideal for a big hard case
Protec Zip Clarinet Case with Detachable Music Pocket- Best for Bb clarinets
Do you need a durable clarinet case that you won’t have to replace after a short while? If yes, do not overlook this model. This is one of the best clarinet cases in 2022 since it has a rating of 4.8 out of 5. It is lightweight and comes at an affordable cost.
- Construction: ABS shell
- Interior: soft foam-injected mold lining
- Padded straps and a retractable handle
Since this clarinet case is made from ABS, it can offer your musical instrument a high level of protection. The shell not only protects a clarinet from scratches but also from impact. It is also comfortable to use since it features padded straps and a carrying handle. Feel free to carry this clarinet case on your back.
This zipped clarinet also has a removable pocket that you can use to carry your sheet music. The interior of this clarinet case features a memory foam layer that offers extra protection. Though this clarinet case is small, it offers extra space for accessories like the neck strap and barrels.
- It is small and lightweight
- The case is long-lasting
- Offers sufficient protection
- It is budget-friendly
- It is not suitable for all clarinets
Protec Lux Clarinet Messenger Pro Pac Case– Best for musicians who travel a lot
If you are a serious clarinet player in need of a quality case, you should pay attention to this model. It is rated 4.3 out of 5 and comes with some useful features. It comes in a lightweight shell that can absorb shock to give a clarinet great protection.
- Material: Fabric
- Shock absorbent shell
- Zippered messenger section
- Built-in organizer
Since the exterior is made from nylon, it makes it weather-resistant. The model also has a soft lining on the interior. You can place the sheet music in the large messenger section that contains a zipper. The inclusion of an organizer also makes it easy to use. You can store some accessories in the large pockets available inside it.
This clarinet case is also portable since it comes with a padded shoulder strap and backpack straps. These give you the freedom to carry it in different ways. Since the storage compartment of this case is padded, it can protect the clarinet from harm.
- High quality
- The storage compartment is spacious
- It is comfortable to use
- Offers more than one way of carrying
- The pockets are sewn diagonally, making them less practical.
Protec PB307GER German Clarinet Case– Best value
The best clarinet cases in 2022 offer ample protection, and this model does not disappoint. Its interior lining features soft velvet that protects the musical instrument from bumps. If you don’t need a heavy clarinet case, you can check out this model since it has a compact design.
- Molded interior lining with velvet
- Padded Shoulder strap
- Exterior material: Nylon
- Zipper guards
This clarinet case has a rating of 3.8 out of 5. Since the carry handle of this clarinet case has a padded grip, it remains comfortable while on the move. Some users, however, have problems dealing with the available hock n’ loop closure. Though it does not come with a backpack strap, you can buy this feature and carry the clarinet case on your back.
Like most clarinet cases, the exterior of this model is made using nylon. This material can protect your instrument from water and prevent it from wearing out. You will also be impressed by the corner zipper guards and id tag that the case comes with.
- The clarinet case is sturdy
- This model is also well-padded
- It is small and lightweight
- The compartment offers room for most items
- The handles are not user-friendly
A clarinet case is a useful tool that you should get as soon as you buy this musical instrument. Though not every marketed case is efficient, we have discussed the best clarinet cases in 2022 that you should focus on. Remember to consider all the factors we have discussed before buying one.
Can cases for other instruments fit a clarinet?
Yes. Though this is possible, using a case for other instruments to store a clarinet is not advised since it may not offer the right fit. This can also make some fragile accessories break.
What is the best brand of clarinet covers?
Some of the best manufacturers of clarinet covers include Protec, Paititi, and Kaces. Choosing a clarinet cover from such brands can help you get a quality one that is worth your money.
- Why you should invest in a well-fitted clarinet case: A Practical Guide to Understanding & Teaching Windwood instruments (2009) Available at
- Learning about our Instrument and Accessories Available at
- Placing the clarinet in its case: The Clarinet and Clarinet Playing available at
- Basics of clarinet playing: The art of clarinet playing available at